Quarters L is located on the former Charleston Navy base facility in what now is called Riverwalk Park. Built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration project to serve as officer’s quarters, the style of the structure was meant to mimic homes near the Panama Canal in the 1920s. Quarters L is one of 40 properties that comprise the Charleston Navy Yard Officer’s Quarters Historic District, which was added to the National Register in 2007. Since being added to the register, the City of North Charleston has been making strides to revitalize and repurpose the buildings for public use.
The first floor of Quarters L will serve as a cafe space, with a kitchen and bar, while the second floor will house one restaurant with a large open dining room. Outside of what was once the screened in porch and garage is a new patio space with a sunshade and a fire pit made from an old cistern well.